It’s here! Thanksgiving was delicious, but how exciting is it to know that Christmas is right around the corner? I couldn’t be happier – Nevada County comes to life during the holidays.
I’m talking, of course, about Cornish Christmas and Victoria Christmas. Since Cornish Christmas begins first, it seemed appropriate to write my first holiday blog about this downtown Grass Valley tradition. Started way back in 1967, Cornish Christmas helps to preserve Grass Valley’s Cornish heritage and tradition. Downtown Grass Valley’s Mill and Main Streets are shut down to motorists and are filled with heavy foot traffic from locals and visitors, musicians, vendors, and the smell of fresh, warm cider.
My favorites are the local merchants who line the streets. Christmas shopping is fun and fast here – you can find just about anything for anyone. Grass Valley merchants light up their storefronts and decorate in the holiday spirit, which makes for a beautiful stroll through town. Cornish Christmas is a can’t miss event. You have to go at least one time to truly experience Christmas in Gold Country.
If you’re headed out to Cornish Christmas for the kick-off event tonight, here’s what you have to look forward to:
FUN THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT TONIGHT
- The GVPD will be having the CHP Clydesdale horses in their parking lot
- Santa will be at Center of Movement
- Entertainment includes the Cornish Choir at the Union Steps. 6:15ish and 7:15ish
- Some great family musicians on Main Street (by Beautiful)
- On Mill Street (by Crystal Gem)
- A wonderful young man playing trumpet on Main Street by Sierra Gold
- The magician guild is in front of Good Times Board Store!
AND Holiday Inn is hosting a Beale Air Force Base reception!
Something for everyone! Cornish Christmas is happening every Friday night from now until Christmas, 6PM to 9PM.